Start a new topic

Get list of 3D model parts and animations

Hi,

is it possible to get list of 3D model parts and animation identifiers in Wikitude SDK?

I know that list of parts and animations is visible in Wikitude Encoder app, but it would be really usefull to somehow get that list in SDK also.

In Wikitude JavaScript SDK, model animations are created by providing animation id, and onClick event on model provides modelPart parameter.

If we could get list of model parts and animations then we could dynamically programme 3D model instead of hardcoding those values in code.

Thank you. I'm available if any clarification of question is needed.

Hi!

there is no such mechanism in the Wikitude SDK, I'm afraid.

Although I must say I do not understand the use case. If you could get a list with all the available model parts or animations, how would you choose one without writing down its identifier in code? You will always need to know which one to pick, or am I missing something?

- Daniel

Thanks for your reply.

"If you could get a list with all the available model parts or animations, how would you choose one without writing down its identifier in code?"

The answer to this is: If we can get list of animations and model parts (similar to ones in Wikitude Encoder app), then we can use that list of identifiers in code to wire it up.

Our app is working with any model that is sent to it, without the need to 'hardcode' model name etc. And we are missing this part to implement animations in the same way.

Second part that we miss is ability to read 3D model size in some way, to be able to dynamically scale it to appropriate size. That part is not available as we can see from list of properties in documentation?

Thanks in advance.

Hello again,

no, I believe you cannot get the model scale. You will have to set to requirement regarding the sizes of the models you are receiving as an input. The JavaScript SDK was intended as a simple-to-use abstraction layer that covers the most common use cases. As such it does have its limits if you're trying to do something out of the ordinary. For that you will need to use the native SDK instead.

- Daniel

Login or Signup to post a comment